How Meta Is Shaping the Future of Social Technology
Meta, formerly known as Facebook, is a social technology company that builds products and platforms to help people connect, find communities and grow businesses. Meta’s vision is to create the metaverse, a new dimension of social interaction that transcends the limitations of the physical world.
What is the metaverse?
The metaverse is a term coined by science fiction author Neal Stephenson in his novel Snow Crash. It refers to a shared virtual space where people can interact with each other and with digital content in immersive and realistic ways. The metaverse will feel like a hybrid of today’s online social experiences, sometimes expanded into three dimensions or projected into the physical world.
Why is Meta pursuing the metaverse?
Meta believes that the metaverse will be the next evolution in social technology, following the rise of mobile and web platforms. The metaverse will enable new forms of social connection, entertainment, gaming, fitness, work, education and commerce that are not possible in the physical world. Meta’s mission is to bring people closer together, and the metaverse will offer new ways to do so.
How is Meta building the metaverse?
Meta is building the metaverse by developing cutting-edge technologies and platforms that span across augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR). Some of Meta’s products and initiatives include:
– Oculus Quest 2: A wireless VR headset that delivers high-quality graphics and performance for immersive gaming and entertainment.
– Horizon Home: A personalized VR space where users can customize their avatars, decorate their homes, invite friends and access apps and games.
– Horizon Workrooms: A VR app that enables remote collaboration and productivity for teams and businesses.
– Presence Platform: A suite of tools and services that will enable developers and creators to build mixed reality experiences on Quest 2.
– Spark AR: A platform that lets anyone create and share AR effects for Instagram, Messenger, Portal and more.
– Project Aria: A research project that explores the potential of wearable AR devices for everyday use.
Meta is also investing in research and innovation to advance the state of the art in AI, computer vision, audio, haptics and more. Meta is also partnering with industry leaders, such as BMW Group, to explore how AR and VR technologies can work inside a fast-moving vehicle.
What are the benefits of the metaverse?
The metaverse will offer many benefits for individuals, communities and businesses around the world. Some of these benefits include:
– Enhanced social connection: The metaverse will allow people to connect with their friends and family in more meaningful ways, regardless of physical distance or time zones. People will be able to share immersive experiences with each other, such as watching a movie together in VR or visiting a virtual museum.
– Expanded creativity and expression: The metaverse will unleash new possibilities for creativity and expression for everyone. People will be able to create their own digital content, such as games, art, music and more. People will also be able to express themselves through their avatars, which can reflect their identity, mood and style.
– Increased access and opportunity: The metaverse will democratize access to information, education and opportunity for people around the world. People will be able to learn new skills, access quality education and find jobs in the metaverse. People will also be able to participate in global markets and commerce through digital platforms and currencies.
– Improved well-being and health: The metaverse will improve people’s well-being and health by providing them with positive experiences, entertainment and fun. People will be able to enjoy physical activities, such as fitness and sports, in VR. People will also be able to access mental health support and wellness services in the metaverse.
What are the challenges of the metaverse?
The metaverse also poses many challenges that need to be addressed responsibly and collaboratively by Meta and other stakeholders. Some of these challenges include:
– Privacy and security: The metaverse will involve collecting and processing large amounts of personal data from users, such as their location, biometrics, preferences and behavior. This data needs to be protected from unauthorized access or misuse by third parties. Users also need to have control over their data and how it is used or shared by Meta or others.
– Safety and integrity: The metaverse will expose users to various types of content and interactions that may be harmful or inappropriate for them or others. This content may include violence, hate speech, misinformation or harassment. Users need to have tools and options to report or block such content or interactions. Meta also needs to have policies and systems to prevent or remove such content or interactions from its platforms.
– Inclusion and diversity: The metaverse will reflect the diversity of people’s identities, cultures and perspectives. This diversity needs to be respected and celebrated by Meta and its users. Users need to have access to inclusive and accessible products and platforms that cater to their needs and preferences. Meta also needs to ensure that its workforce, leadership and partners are diverse and representative of its users.
– Sustainability and impact: The metaverse will consume significant amounts of energy and resources to power its technologies and platforms. This consumption may have negative impacts on the environment and climate change. Meta needs to minimize its environmental footprint by using renewable energy sources, reducing waste and emissions, and supporting green initiatives.
How can I learn more about Meta’s work on the metaverse?
If you are interested in learning more about Meta’s work on the metaverse, you can visit meta.com for more information. You can also watch Connect 2021 keynote on YouTube or read Mark Zuckerberg’s founder’s letter on his vision for the metaverse.
You can also follow Meta on Facebook (@meta), Instagram (@meta), Twitter (@meta) or LinkedIn (@meta) for updates on its products, platforms